[ANN] pyxser-0.2r --- Python XML Serialization

Daniel Molina Wegener dmw at coder.cl
Sun Apr 19 23:41:19 EDT 2009

Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de>
on Sunday 19 April 2009 15:08
wrote in comp.lang.python:

> Daniel Molina Wegener wrote:
>> Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de>
>> on Sunday 19 April 2009 02:25
>> wrote in comp.lang.python:

>>> Hmm, does that mean that when I serialise, I get a unicode object back?
>>> What about the XML declaration? How can a user create well-formed XML
>>> from your output? Or is that not the intention?
>>
>>   Yes, if you serialize an object you get an XML string as
>> unicode object, since unicode objects supports UTF-8 and
>> some other encodings.
>
> That's not what I meant. I was wondering why you chose to use a unicode
> string instead of a byte string (which XML is defined for). If your only
> intention is to deserialise the unicode string into a tree, that may be
> acceptable. However, as soon as you start writing the data to a file or
> through a network pipe, or pass it to an XML parser, you'd better make it
> well-formed XML. So you either need to encode it as UTF-8 (for which you
> do not need a declaration), or you will need to encode it in a different
> byte encoding, and then prepend a declaration yourself. In any case, this
> is a lot more overhead (and cumbersome for users) than writing out a
> correctly serialised byte string directly.

  Sorry, it appears that I've misunderstand your question. By /unicode
objects/ I mean /python unicode objects/ aka /python unicode strings/.
Most of them can be reencoded into /latin*/ strings and then /ascii/
strings if is that what you want. But for most communications, suchs as
Java systems, utf-8 encoding goes as default. I've made pyxser to
generate interoperability between python and other systems.

> You seemed to be very interested in good performance, so I don't quite
> understand why you want to require an additional step with a relatively
> high performance impact that only makes it harder for users to use the
> tool correctly.
>
> Stefan

Atte.
- --
 .O. | Daniel Molina Wegener   | FreeBSD & Linux
 ..O | dmw [at] coder [dot] cl | Open Standards
 OOO | http://coder.cl/        | FOSS Developer