Python interpreter speed

Pascal Chambon chambon.pascal at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 19 12:25:41 EDT 2009

Hello

I'm not expert in low level languages, but I'd say that Python and Java
are "compiled" to bytecodes of similar level. The difference lies in the
information contained in those bytecodes : java is statically typed, so
attribute access and other basic operations are rather quick, allowing
few levels of indirection. Whereas a python attribute lookup can involve
a big number of operations (browsing the inheritance tree, querying
__getattribute__, __get__ and all those magic methods...). That's in
this "magic" of python that we have a loss of performance I think -
that's both the power and the drawback of this (awesome) language.

Regards,
Pascal

PS : I guess core python developpers will have much more accurate things
to say about it ^^