Is there a programming language that is combination of PythonandBasic?

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Sun Apr 19 04:35:27 EDT 2009

 Brian Blais   wrote:

>On Apr 18, 2009, at 5:44 , Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:

>>to untangle some spaghetti code.  He did not mention if
>>the spaghetti was actually doing it's job, bug free, which
>>IMO is the only rational test for the quality of a piece
>>of code, because it is the reason for its existence.
>>The aesthetics are, like all aesthetics, a matter of opinion.
>

>Actually, I strongly disagree with this statement.
>In my experience, there has been very very few
>pieces of  code that I've written that I hadn't wanted
>to *modify* at some point: extend it to a new set of
>circumstances,  cover a different case, change the
>output, etc...  The quality of a piece of code is not just
>if it works right  now, but if you can reasonably extend
>it for the future.

Your experience is different from mine - in what I mostly
do, which is struggling around in embedded assembler,
by the time the thing "works" it is stable, and I very
seldom have to go back to fiddle with it.

On the other hand, I understand what you are talking about,
but I think that the origen of the frustration that one feels
when having to battle with some old code, is actually inside
oneself - the code is the same, but I have changed, and I am
no longer the same as I was when I wrote it.

>I toyed with Perl for a year or so, but couldn't give it
>my full attention.  As a result, every few weeks when I
>wanted to modify what I wrote, I had to re-learn the
>code all over again because the syntax was so terse.
>The same is true for the typical use of a goto: you have
>to relearn the program, because the flow jumps around.
>It's not just about aesthetics, but about being able to
>work with a piece of code.

In my defense of the goto, I would like to make clear
that I do not support its use to produce spaghetti.
In general, muddled thinking, coupled with expediency,
is what I think are the true precursors of spaghetti code.
The goto is an innocent tool that can be used for good
or evil.

- Hendrik