unpythonic use of property()?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 01:41:21 EDT 2009

On Apr 17, 4:00 pm, Scott David Daniels <Scott.Dani... at Acm.Org> wrote:
> Carl Banks wrote:
> > On Apr 17, 10:21 am, J Kenneth King <ja... at agentultra.com> wrote:
> >> Consider:
>
> >> code:
>
> >> class MyInterface(object):
>
> >>     def __get_id(self):
> >>         return self.__id
>
> >>     id = property(fget=__get_id)
>
> >>     def __init__(self, id, foo):
> >>         self.__id = id
> >>         self.foo = foo
>
> >> class MyInterface2(object):
>
> >>     def __init__(self, id, foo):
> >>         self._id = id
> >>         self.foo = foo
>
> >>     @property
> >>     def id(self):
> >>         return self._id

> >> I was recently informed that it was 'unpythonic' and have since been a
> >> little confused by the term. I've heard it bandied about before but
> >> never paid much attention. What is 'unpythonic'? What about this example
> >> is unpythonic?
>
> > There are different reasons someone might have said it.
> > Some people think attribute name-mangling is unpythonic.  It's true
> > that people sometimes mistakenly treat it a solid information hiding
> > mechanism, but I wouldn't call its usage unpythonic when used as
> > intended: as a way to avoid name-collisions.  If you think it's
> > worthwhile to protect an attribute from being overwritten, you might
> > as well guard against accidental conflict with the underlying name.
>
> Here you are assuming that a user of your class could not possibly have a
> valid reason for getting to the underlying variable.  Don't make those
> decisions for someone else, in Python, "we are all adults here."

They can use the demangled name of the internal variable if they want
access to it.

> > Finally, some people think read-only attributes are unpythonic.  I
> > think that's ridiculous, although in general I'd advise against making
> > attributes read-only willy-nilly.  But there's a time and place for
> > it.
>
> Generally, properties are for doing some form of calculation, not
> for making things read-only.

That might be how properties are "generally" used, but if for some
reason I wanted a read-only attribute, that's how I'd do it.

[snip strawman stuff]
> It is not
> your job to protect those users who do not use your code properly from
> themselves; that way lies madness.

I'm sorry, but the universe is not as simple as you are making it out
to be.  Blanket statements like the one you just gave here are not
something that should ever be blindly adhered to.

If, in my judgment, users would be prone to overwrite one of my
attributes, and if I designed the system to rely on that attribute,
and if the results of changing it are bad enough, then by golly I'm
going to make the attribute harder than usual to modify.  And yes,
that is my job.

Users who want to change it anyway can curse me and then go demangle
the name themselves.

Carl Banks