Is there a programming language that is combination of Python and Basic?

Fri Apr 17 22:43:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:00:18 -0700, Mensanator wrote:

> On Apr 17, 3:37 pm, baykus <baykusde... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am looking for one of those experimental languages that might be
>> combination of python+basic. Now thta sounds weird and awkward I know.
>
> That's a clue you won't find anyone seriously contemplating such idiocy.
>
>> The reason I am asking is that I always liked how I could reference-
>> call certain line number back in the days.
>
> A bad idea. If you really want to write bad code, learn C.
>
>> It would be interesting to get similar functionality in Python.
>
> Yeah, it would "interesting" just as a train wreck is "interesting", as
> long as you're not the one who has to live through it.

Nevertheless, somebody *has* implemented such functionality in Python.
Not just GOTO, but also COMEFROM.

http://entrian.com/goto/

> I once translated a BASIC program to Pascal (hint: no goto allowed).

Pascal has GOTOs. People rarely used them, because even in the 1970s and
80s they knew that unstructured gotos to arbitrary places was a terrible
idea.

GOTO in Pascal required that you defined a label in your code, then you
could jump to that label. You can't jump to arbitrary parts of the
program, only within the current procedure.

--
Steven