Overriding methods per-object

Pavel Panchekha PavPanchekha at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 22:28:13 EDT 2009

> The docs don't say you can do that:

Thanks, hadn't noticed that.

> Should you be able to?

I'd say so. In my case, I need a class that can encapsulate any
object, add a few methods to it, and spit something back that works
just like the object, but also has those extra methods. I can't just
add the methods, because it has to work on e.g. lists. So I'll have to
end up defining all the possible methods on that class (and that's
still not best because I can't use hasattr to test if, for example,
addition is allowed on that object).

On the other hand, I see how this severely restricts the possibly
optimizations that can be made in the interpreter.