Sending directory with files in it via sockets

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Fri Apr 17 18:31:20 EDT 2009

Ryniek90 wrote:
> Hi.
> Last time i've got problem with sending big files, but i've already
> dealt with it.
> Now, when i want send directory (with some files in it) i iterate that
> directory for files in it, and then in while loop open iterated files,
> read them and send. But something's not working. It iterate's first file
> from directory and sends it all the time (only first file). So, the
> iteration is written bad. Could you tell me how to modify it?
>
> Here's that method:
>
> def send_dir(self):
>        print "Gathering information's..."

(FYI, "information" doesn't have a plural, and if it did it wouldn't
have an apostrophe!)

>        self.direc = os.walk(self.data)
>        for files in self.direc:
>            lst_files = files[2]

Please not that you're binding files[2] to lst_files each time so that
it's final value is whatever the final result of self.direc was. I don't
know whether that's intentional.

>        for fl in lst_files:
>            print "Sending %s from directory %s" % (fl,
> os.path.split(self.data)[1])
>            while True:
>                files = open("%s/%s" % (self.data,fl), 'rb')
>                self.read = files.read(51200)
>                self.konn.send(self.read)
>                if not self.read:
>                    break
 >        files.close()

This 'while' loop is opening a file and sending the first 51200 bytes,
but then either leaving the loop if nothing was read or repeating the
whole thing if something was read. I think you need:

            data_file = open("%s/%s" % (self.data, fl), 'rb')
            while True:
                data = files.read(51200)
                if not data:
                    break
                self.konn.sendall(data)
            data_file.close()

Notice that I used sendall() instead of send(). This is because send()
doesn't guarantee to send _all_ the data (it's in the documentation).