Inheriting dictionary attributes and manipulate them in subclasses

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Apr 17 11:48:55 EDT 2009

Dominik Ruf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just stumbled upon the following behaviour.
> ...   dic = {'1':'1', '2':'2'}
> ...   def __init__(self):
> ...     self.dic.update({'1':'2'})
> ...   pass

> {'1': '2', '2': '2'}
> {'1': '2', '2': '2'}
>
> This is not what I have excepted.
> Although I know the solution to get what I want...
> ...   def __init__(self):
> ...     self.dic = {'1':'1', '2':'2'}
> ...   def __init__(self):
> ...     base.__init__(self)
> ...     self.dic.update({'1':'2'})
> ...   pass

> {'1': '2', '2': '2'}
> {'1': '1', '2': '2'}
>
> ... I wonder if there is a special reason for the behaviour in the
> first example.
> Shouldn't the first example behave like the second?

No, because you are creating *classvariables* when declaring things like
this:

class Foo(object):
   bar = {}

If these are mutable, changing them will change them for *all* instances.

OTOH, when assigning to an instance, this will create an
*instance*-variable. Which is what

self.some_name = some_value

does.

Diez