QT , Wxwidgets are not just UI framework ?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Apr 17 06:52:13 EDT 2009

Deep_Feelings wrote:

> qt include many libraries : network , threading,database ..etc while
> Wxwidgets seem similar but with less scope
>
> my question is : does these frameworks replace python's (or any other
> language for that matter) built-in libraries ? or python does not
> include that sort of libraries ?

Some it includes, others it doesn't. And they come with different features.

While python comes with a lot of included batteries, for some things you
need a more powerful generator - that's where 3rd-party-libraries come into
play.

There are plenty of discussions about which GUI-toolkit is the best - google
this group.

However, mostly people agree that Qt is the most powerful, but often was
debunked because of it's licensing. This has changed to the much more
liberal LGPL for Qt4.5.

Now it might be though that you'd still need to buy a license from Phil
Thompson for his excellent PyQt-wrapping - but I'd personally say it's more
worth than it actually costs given the power of Qt.

Diez