[OT] large db question about no joins

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Fri Apr 17 05:42:25 EDT 2009

Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
<cut>
> Well, I gave the concrete example of zoo/cage/animal/leg because this
> *is* the business logic. I need to know for example the total number
> of animals, this is pretty understandable if you have a zoo. Or you
> mean that I should give another example?

It might be the business logic but not the process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_process

>> Using the business process I could probably
>> narrow down the scope quite a bit like,
<cut>
> No, I'd like to have the exact number at any given time.
Fair enough, but this is then the *exact* scope you like to answer me in.

<cut>
> Let's say I need to implement this on the google app engine, so I
> can't make too many choices on my own. On the GAE, how would I do
> this?
All other data modeling (e.g. EAV, relational, object orientated) will
result in a structure requiring extra calculation when doing the query
(and thus according your requirement isn't acceptable).

So I need to store the data in such a way that it is accessible before
the query with the minimal amount of processing.

Thus the only thing left is writing a subroutine in my code which
recalculates the amount of legs when there is a change in it and store
it just as a pair value:
amount_of_legs = Positive Integer

The thing with bogus requirements for an imaginary example is that the
solution is imaginary bogus too, leaving little room for applicability
in the real world.

hth
--
mph