Question to python C API

Andreas Otto aotto1968 at onlinehome.de
Fri Apr 17 03:31:24 EDT 2009

alex23 wrote:

> On Apr 17, 4:22 pm, Andreas Otto <aotto1... at onlinehome.de> wrote:
>> Question 1: Why you wall it "Pyrex" package ?
>
> From the first paragraph on the Cython site: "Cython is based on the
> well-known Pyrex, but supports more cutting edge functionality and
> optimizations."
>
>> >python ./setup.py install
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "./setup.py", line 5, in <module>
>> from Cython.Compiler.Version import version
>> File "/home/dev1usr/src/Cython-0.11.1/Cython/__init__.py", line 2, in
>> <module>
>> from Shadow import *
>> ImportError: No module named Shadow
>
> Did you unpack the Cython archive correctly? Is there a Shadow.py in
> your src/Cython-0.11.1/Cython/ folder?

yes

>> 4. than I try the second part from INSTALL.txt
>> (2) If you prefer not to modify your Python
>> installation, arrange for the directory
>> containing this file (INSTALL.txt) to be in
>> your PYTHONPATH. On unix, also put the bin
>> directory on your PATH.
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "setup.py", line 3, in <module>
>> from Cython.Distutils import build_ext
>> ImportError: No module named Cython.Distutils
>
> Did you follow the 2nd set of instructions & modify both your
> PYTHONPATH & PATH env vars? Have you confirmed they're correct? This
> is the sort of error I'd expect if those weren't set up properly.

I put the the "Cython-0.11.1" into the PATH and don't modify the
PYTHONPATH

the INSTALL.txt say: On unix, *also* put the bin directory on your PATH

but I think I found the reason I have to set the PYTHONPATH to this
directory *and* setup the PATH. I understand *also* as something like "or"

but now the following error happen:

> PYTHONPATH=~/ext/x86_64-suse-linux/thread/bin/Cython-0.11.1/
PATH=$PATH:~/ext/x86_64-suse-linux/thread/bin/Cython-0.11.1/
python ./setup.py build_ext --inplace
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./setup.py", line 3, in <module>
    from Cython.Distutils import build_ext

File "/home/dev1usr/ext/x86_64-suse-linux/thread/bin/Cython-0.11.1/Cython/__init__.py",
line 2, in <module>
    from Shadow import *
ImportError: No module named Shadow

>> 7. a little bit to much errors for the first step, isn't it ?
>
> Yes, however none of these happened when I just installed Cython to
> the XP, OSX & Ubuntu boxen I'm working on, so this isn't usual
> behaviour.
>
> What is your setup? What OS?

SuSE 10.3, I have compiled python on my own and install it in:
~/ext/x86_64-suse-linux/thread