Create standalone Windows program with simple graphics?

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Thu Apr 16 10:53:50 EDT 2009

Poster28 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
> like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
> as a standalone binary for Windows users.
>
> What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
> use?

Easiest?  Visual Basic, version 6.  The executables it produces aren't
really standalone, but the needed DLL's are generally shipped with Windows

Of course, you're asking on a Python list, so presumably you prefer the
Python programming model.  In that case, you need to look at Py2exe.
Others here have experience with it, and can advise you whether it's
close enough for your needs.  I do not think you'll get a single file on
the user's machine, however.