Question to python C API

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Apr 16 09:01:22 EDT 2009

>         it is possible to write C and python code into the
>         same file ?

Not as such.

And JNI is an atrocity, btw.

But what you can do (if you have a pure C-API, no C++) is to completely
ditch the C from the equation and go for ctypes. This allows you to
easily wrap the C-functions in pure python, and then write a simple
layour for OO-goodness around it.

Callbacks from C to python work without a hitch, and generally it's
really cool to work with ctypes.

You can also try & use Cython, a Python-like language that makes
bridging between C and Python easier. I personally don't have any
experience with it (only it's predecessor Pyrex, which worked well for
me) - but to be honest: as long as you aren't in there for speed (Cython
can make things faster, if you restrict yourself to the subset the
language supports), ctypes is the easiest thing to go for. No compiler,
no hassle.

Diez