[Python-Dev] PEP 382: Namespace Packages

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Apr 15 13:59:34 EDT 2009

At 06:15 PM 4/15/2009 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>The much more common use case is that of wanting to have a base package
>installation which optional add-ons that live in the same logical
>package namespace.

Please see the large number of Zope and PEAK distributions on PyPI as
minimal examples that disprove this being the common use case.  I
expect you will find a fair number of others, as well.

In these cases, there is NO "base package"...  the entire point of
using namespace packages for these distributions is that a "base
package" is neither necessary nor desirable.

In other words, the "base package" scenario is the exception these
days, not the rule.  I actually know specifically of only one other
such package besides your mx.* case, the logilab ll.* package.