segmentation fault while using ctypes

bieffe62 at gmail.com bieffe62 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 00:00:26 EDT 2009

On Apr 15, 12:39 am, sanket <sanket.s.pa... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am dealing with this weird bug.
> I have a function in C and I have written python bindings for it using
> ctypes.
>
> I can call this function for couple of times and then suddenly it
> gives me seg fault.
> But I can call same function from a C code for any number of times.
>
> I cannot get what's going on.
>
> here is my code.
>
> /**********************************************/
> /* C Function I am calling */
> int get_hash(char *filename,int rate,int ch,unsigned char* hash,
> unsigned int* hash_size,short* avg_f,short* avg_d){
>
> /* some variable declarations here */
> fp = fopen(filename,"rb");
>
> data = (signed short *)malloc(sizeof(signed short) * N_BLOCKS);
>
> whereami = WAVE_HEADER_SIZE;
> while((!feof(fp)) && (fp_more == 1) && !ferror(fp)){
>      fp_data_size = fread(data,sizeof(signed short),N_BLOCKS,fp);
>      whereami += fp_data_size;
>      fp_more = fp_feed_short(fooid,data,fp_data_size); // call to some
> library funtion
>  } //end while
>
> /* some arithmetic calculations here */
>
>   n = my_fp_calculate(fooid,audio_length,fp_fingerprint,&fit,&dom);
>
>   if (data != NULL)
>       free(data)
>   fclose(fp)
>   return n;
>
> }
>
> /************************* END OF C FUNCTION
> *********************************/
> Python code
> from ctypes import *
> lib = cdll.LoadLibrary("/usr/lib/libclient.so")
>
> def my_func(filename,rate,ch):
>     hash = (c_ubyte * 424)()
>     hash_size = c_uint()
>     avg_f = c_short(0)
>     avg_d = c_short(0)
>     n = lib.get_hash(filename,rate,ch,hash,byref(hash_size),byref
> (avg_f),byref(avg_d))
>     hash = None
>
> def main():
>     for filename in os.listdir(MY_DIR):
>             print filename
>             my_func(filename,100,10)
>             print
> "----------------------------------------------------"
>
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>     main()
>
> ============== END OF PYTHON CODE ==========================
>
> Thank you in advance,
> sanket

You don't show how the C function make use of parameters hash,
hash_size, avg_f, avg_d. Since you pass them by address,
I guess that are output parameters, but how do they get written? In
particular,make sure you don't write into hash more
than the  424 bytes you allocated for it in the calling python
code ...

Ciao
----
FB