Pass ID and password to the server

Tue Apr 14 00:11:17 EDT 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:02:39 -0700, larryzhang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to grab webpages from a site that requires user ID and
> password, is there a way that I can pass my ID and password to the
> server? Thanks.

It depends on what the server is expecting.

Some *really bad* systems encode the username and password in the URL. If
that's what the server does, then just copy the URL. Easy.

Python can handle basic authentication easily. Have a read of these:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/urllib2.shtml
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/authentication.shtml

I'm not sure about digest authentication, but it's probably similar.

If the website uses javascript to manage authentication, you've probably
got a lot of work to do.

--
Steven