Detecting -i in a script

Static Vagabond static at viralmind.org
Mon Apr 13 21:10:30 EDT 2009

Chris Rebert wrote:
>> Marek Szuba wrote:

>>> Hmm, "New in version 2.6"... Are you aware of any way of extracting
>>> this information in older versions of Python? My code needs to be
>>> 2.3-compatible.
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Static Vagabond <static at viralmind.org> wrote:
>> I think getopt will help you achieve what you need.
>> http://docs.python.org/library/getopt.html
>
> A. Please don't top-post. It makes following the conversation more
> difficult by presenting it out of chronological order.
>
> B. -i is an option to the Python interpreter *itself*, not the Python
> script, and so gets gobbled up before the script even starts, thus
> `getopt` won't work. Observe:
>
> chris at morpheus ~ $ cat foo.py
> from sys import argv
> print argv
> chris at morpheus ~ $ python -i foo.py
> ['foo.py']
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Thanks for the tip Chris, been away from the newsgroups for a while and
bad habits seem to have crept in.  All in all, a none-to-useful first
post to comp.lang.python, here's hoping for a brighter future.

Can I presume the lack of a solution in your response means,
essentially, prior to 2.6 there's no way of reading from the script that
the interpreter has been launched in interactive mode?

Static.