Imports in python are static, any solution?

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Mon Apr 13 16:23:48 EDT 2009

AJ Mayorga wrote:
> For something like this I generally create a superclass to hold
> configuration variables that will change overtime, doing that will save you
> from insanity.
>
> Class configVar:
>
> 	#set initial values
> 	Def __init__(self):
> 		Self.A = 5
> 		Self.B = 10
> 		Self.C = 20
>

> Class myMath(configVars):
> 	def __init__(self):
> 		pass
>
> 	def SubAandB(self):
> 		return self.A - self.B
>
> 	def AddCandB(self):
> 		return self.C + self.B
>
> 	def MultiplyXbyA(self, x):
> 		return self.A * x
>

> m = myMath()
> X = m.SubAandB()
> Y = m.AddCandB()
> Z = m.MultiplyXbyA(32)
>
> Keeps your vars in a safer easier to handle, debug, and change kinda way
> Good luck
>
> AJ

===============================

Aj is right. In foo.py there are two definitions for 'i'. The initial
and the replacement initiated by fi(). While initially there is no 'i'
definition in bar itself.

To test, use my changes to bar.py

import foo
#from foo import i

i= foo.i
print i, foo.i
x= foo.fi()
print i, x, foo.i
x= foo.i
print  i, x, foo.i

the output will be:
10 10
10 None 99
10 99 99

output is same if you uncomment #from... and comment i=...
The '...import i' creates the "same" var as the i=... in the current run
If you comment out both the from and the i= then the print i will fail
because i has not been defined in current space.
foo.fi() returns None (nothing) per it's definition.
whereas the first foo.i returns the initial i value and the foo.i after
foo.fi() returns the 2nd value, foo's i reset to 99 by fi() inside foo.

Clear as Mud???

Steve