How to create a virtual serial port?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Apr 11 16:03:46 EDT 2009

On 2009-04-11, Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2009-04-11, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You can write a port redirector in user-space in MS-Windows,
>>> but you can't in Linux/Unix.  On Unix systems you have to
>>> write a kernel module that sits below the tty layer.
>>
>> Perhaps I should elucidate further.
>
> This part I actually understand.  The OP has a program named
> "RouteBuddy" that talks to a device over a serial port, and he
> want to repalce the data stream coming from that device.  My
> question is, "where does the device that he wants to replace
> plug in?"

To some other machine/device on the network that does have a
serial port.  You can buy dedicated devices that do
serial-ethernet, or you can use any old computer that does
happen to have a serial port.

If he was going to plug the device into a real serial port on
the machine inquestion, then he wouldn't need a virtual serial
port.

> I don't see anywhere on my laptop I could plug in anything but
> a USB connector, an ethernet connector, a firewire connector,
> headphones, speakers, a display connector, or a power cord.

He's not trying to plug the device into your laptop.

--
Grant