Unsupported operand types in if/else list comprehension

Mike H cmh.python at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 15:03:01 EDT 2009

Sigh. One more. And again, thank you for all of the help.

I realized that the last version that I posted took care of an SQL
injection problem for the values, but not for the fields. So, I went
ahead and modified the code:

def new_insert_cmd(myTable, myFields, myValues):
    """Imports given fields and values into a given table, returns the
Autoincrement value."""
    SQLcmd="INSERT INTO " + myTable + " ( " +
create_input_string(myFields) + " ) VALUES ( " \
            + create_input_string(myValues) +" );"
    allArguments=myFields+myValues
    cursor.execute(SQLcmd, (allArguments))

create_input_strings() is just a function that creates the necessary
number of %s's for a given list (and which I'm sure there's a faster
way to code):

def create_input_string(myList):
    sOut=""
    for var in myList:
        sOut=sOut+"%s, "
    return sOut[:-2]

However, now the cursor.execute statement won't work. I've looked at
the content of SQLcmd and the values of allArguments and they seem
fine.

I've even tried running this at the IDLE command line:

cursor.execute("INSERT INTO plan (%s, %s, %s) VALUES (%s, %s, %s);",
(["name", "fileno", "size", "Test", "AAA-000", 7])) and I get this
error:

File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\MySQLdb\cursors.py", line 166, in execute
    self.errorhandler(self, exc, value)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\MySQLdb\connections.py", line
35, in defaulterrorhandler
    raise errorclass, errorvalue
ProgrammingError: (1064, "You have an error in your SQL syntax; check
the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right
syntax to use near ''name', 'fileno', 'size') VALUES ('Test',
'AAA-000', 7)' at line 1")

Can I not use the cursor.execute command to pass variables that aren't
immediately next to each other? If so, is there a better way to go
about solving this problem?

Again, thanks for your patience and help with a newbie.

Michael