Definition of Pythonic?

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 12:00:58 EDT 2009

On Apr 11, 10:08 am, Emmanuel Surleau <emmanuel.surl... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Having written a few trivial scripts in Python, I'm curious as
> to how you would sum up the Pythonic philosophy of development.

A couple of others have already mentioned the Zen of Python, available
at the Python command prompt.  I would agree with that, but also add
the caveat that none of the principles expressed there are hard-and-
fast rules.  Hopefully that is clear from the quasi-contradictory
nature of the principles, but inevitably there will be some people who
complain that Python breaks this or that "rule" from the Zen.

The fact is, it's impossible to satisfy every principle in every
situation.  To me, Python distinguishes itself for how well it
balances all of them.  "Compromise" is a word that comes up a lot when
talking about the design of Python.  To some, that has a negative
connotation; to me, it's an inevitable consequence of being practical.

John