Definition of Pythonic?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Apr 11 10:17:20 EDT 2009

> Having written a few trivial scripts in Python, I'm curious as to how you
> would sum up the Pythonic philosophy of development. Judging from Python, it
> seems to exclude (mostly) "magical" variables like '$.'. Is this right? What
> else would you include in this definition?

At the python command-prompt, issue

   import this

which will dump "The Zen of Python".  I'd debate "flat vs.
nested" depending on context (nested IFs? nested call-graph?
nested data-structures?), but otherwise this summarizes many of
the reasons I esteem Python above all the other computer
languages I've used (pascal and VB came close; ruby & perl were
so distant from these ideals, I cringe every time I have to touch
them for anything).

-tkc