How to create a virtual serial port?

Sat Apr 11 03:52:55 EDT 2009

Stuart Davenport wrote:
> ... I'm on a OS X, python 2.5. Basically I will have a remote application
> pushing data (GPS) over the network to a python application I have
> running on my Mac, I want this python application to again push the
> data on to a "virtual serial port". Then the GPS program I have
> running on my MAC, RouteBuddy, can read the data from that serial port
> as standard.
>
> The only part I am concerned about here though, is if I can create a
> serial port virtually and push data out of it?

OK, this is a Max OS/X question.  Does "RouteBuddy" have any other way
to get data except from the serial port?  Does the mac have a serial
port?or are you talking "serial port over USB" (which would be an
entirely different kettle of fish).  With that out of the wa, I'd try
to ask some Mac guys if the ponying up is possible, and if so how to
do it in _any_ language (likely they'll have an Objective C way).
Then pop back over here (or even better a python-mac list, where
they'll be familiar with how to do lots of stuff) and you can get
help getting python to either do the same thing or talk to a bit
of code that does the byte-transfers.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org