Python 2.6/3.0 packages for Ubuntu?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Fri Apr 10 21:11:13 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM, <skip at pobox.com <mailto:skip at pobox.com>>
>> wrote:
>>

>>       >> Does Ubuntu really not have Python 2.6 or 3.0 packages....
>>
>>       Benjamin> Which version of Ubuntu are you using?
>>
>>       Benjamin> Hardy: 2.5.2
>>       Benjamin> Intrepid: 2.5.2 and 3.0rc1
>>       Benjamin> Jaunty (beta) : 2.6.2rc1 and 3.0.1
>>
>>    I'm using Intrepid.  Is there a simple way within Synaptic or by
>> editing
>>    config files to jump up to Jaunty?
>>

>> You can either wait 13 days for the final release,
>>

> I am thinking of getting Ubuntu.  Cannot one also download the sources and
> compile?  (Without replacing the system version!)

By default, user-compiled programs are installed in /usr/local, while the
system programs are installed in /usr, so you won't replace anything unless
you specify the prefix (though you will have to use the full path to get the
system version).

If you want to build a package from a later version of Ubuntu (they add a
bunch of distro-specific patches to their packages), you can download that
source tarball and Ubuntu's patches from packages.ubuntu.com. The binary
.debs are there too but those will replace the system versions (and you'll
probably need to upgrade a lot of the dependencies).

FYI, the normal binary packages in the repositories don't include the header
files so you'll need to install the dev versions of all the packages as well
(i.e. you need both libsqlite3.0 and libsqlite3-dev to build python's sqlite
module).