How to create a virtual serial port?

Stuart Davenport stuart.davenport at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 17:47:27 EDT 2009

On 10 Apr, 20:45, Scott David Daniels <Scott.Dani... at Acm.Org> wrote:
> Stuart Davenport wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I am trying to work out if its possible, to create a virtual serial
> > port with Python? Would anyone know how to go about this in code? Any
> > help would be greatly appreciated! :)
>
> > I have a had a google and the topics returned only seem to reflect
> > "reading" serial port data, particularly pySerial results...
>
> > Cheers
> > Stu
>
> Well, search for Smart Questions.  I have no idea what your OS is, nor
> what level of "virtual serial port" you want/need.  All anyone could
> do with your current request is guess what you need and try to steer you
> towards it.
>
> --Scott David Daniels
> Scott.Dani... at Acm.Org

Scott, totally fair point - a little candid, but fair...

I'm on a OS X, python 2.5. Basically I will have a remote application
pushing data (GPS) over the network to a python application I have
running on my Mac, I want this python application to again push the
data on to a "virtual serial port". Then the GPS program I have
running on my MAC, RouteBuddy, can read the data from that serial port
as standard.

The only part I am concerned about here though, is if I can create a
serial port virtually and push data out of it?

Hope that defines a little more clarity for yourself.