3D plotting in a GUI

R Fritz rfritz at u.washingon.edu
Tue Apr 7 18:56:21 EDT 2009

I've been doing 3D modeling for lighting simulation and I found two
reasonably well-supported solutions: VTK and OpenSceneGraph.  VTK
generally has a research slant and has what I believe are reasonably
strong Python bindings.  OSG is closer to VR/AR/Flight Simulation
applications and the Python bindings are pre-alpha--you'll probably have
to roll your own for some purposes.  Both are OpenGL based; if you need
an easy Windows install you'll have to go with something that supports
DirectX.

If your app is simple, you might just be able to write OpenGL code.

Anyone who knows of other reasonably current libraries, please follow
up--there are a lot of libraries that don't seem to see much activity,
and I'm not sure if this is because they are complete or because they
are not much used.