[Python-Dev] PEP 382: Namespace Packages

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:29:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

>> This means your proposal actually doesn't add any benefit over the
>> status quo, where you can have an __init__.py that does nothing but
>> declare the package a namespace.  We already have that now, and it
>> doesn't need a new filename.  Why would we expect OS vendors to start
>> supporting it, just because we name it __pkg__.py instead of __init__.py?
>
> I lost you there.
>
> Since when do we support namespace packages in core Python without
> the need to add some form of magic support code to __init__.py ?

I think P. Eby refers to the problem that most packaging systems don't
like several packages to have the same file - be it empty or not.
That's my main personal grip against namespace packages, and from this
POV, I think it is fair to say the proposal does not solve anything.
Not that I have a solution, of course :)

cheers,

David