building release - assert-free python library

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Apr 7 06:30:53 EDT 2009

grbgooglefan <ganeshborse at gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to avoid [exceptions] when compiling the libpython.a
> library because when this libpython gets used for production purpose
> and it aborts, the application goes down without any means of
> graceful handling that error condition. How can we handle this?

Exceptions are a fundamental control flow mechanism in Python, and
Python programs need them enabled in order to function properly.

What you actually want is (as you say) to properly handle any
un-caught exceptions. This is done by writing an exception handler
function and then binding the name ‘sys.excepthook’
<URL:http://docs.python.org/library/sys#sys.excepthook> to your
function as the default exception handler.

--
 \        “Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we |
  `\   are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire |