decorator module in stdlib?

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Mon Apr 6 20:50:05 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Daniel Fetchinson
<fetchinson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The decorator module [1] written by Michele Simionato is a very useful
> tool for maintaining function signatures while applying a decorator.
> Many different projects implement their own versions of the same
> functionality, for example turbogears has its own utility for this, I
> guess others do something similar too.
>
> Was the issue whether to include this module in the stdlib raised? If
> yes, what were the arguments against it? If not, what do you folks
> think, shouldn't it be included? I certainly think it should be.

Similar functionality is already provided by
functools.update_wrapper() and functools.wraps().
See http://docs.python.org/library/functools.html
You might consider proposing the modification of these functions instead.

Cheers,
Chris

--
I have a blog: