Weird Tk Canvas coordinate issue

John Posner jjposner at snet.net
Mon Apr 6 18:11:14 EDT 2009

Tim Shannon wrote:
> I'm new to python, so keep that in mind.
>
> I have a tk Canvas that I'm trying to draw on, and I want to start my
> drawing at an offset (from 0) location.  So I can tweak this as I
> code, I set this offset as a class level variable:
>
> def ClassName:
>     OFFSET = 20
>
>     def __init__(self, master)):
>         self.canvas = Canvas(master)
>         self.canvas.create_rectangle(self.OFFSET,
>                                      self.OFFSET,
>                                      300 + self.OFFSET,
>                                      300 + self.OFFSET,
>                                      width=2)

The above code wouldn't even compile. Please be careful to cut-and-paste
working code into your email message. (I've made this mistake myself!)
Changes to make:

1. first line: change "def" to "class"

2. def __init__(self, master)):    <--- get rid of extra ")"

3. Make sure to "pack" the canvas into the overall Tk window:

    self.canvas = Canvas(master)
    self.canvas.pack()                        <--- add this line