How to free /destroy object created by PyTuple_New

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 6 05:27:54 EDT 2009

grbgooglefan <ganeshborse at gmail.com> writes:

> Regarding PyTuple_New, when I pass this tuple with variable values
> set to some evaluation function like PyObject_CallObject, do I need
> to increment reference for this tuple & then decrement again after
> the call returns?

You don't.  It is assumed that you already own the reference to the
tuple, so you can freely pass it to functions.  When you're done with
the tuple (such as when you're about to leave the C scope that holds
the reference to it), you're suppose to decref it.  If the function
you call stores it somewhere, that function is responsible for
incrementing its reference count.

The exception to the above are functions documented to "steal" the
reference count of their arguments, such as PyList_SetItem, but those
are generally quite rare and always clearly documented.

Maybe you should post a question to the capi-sig list explaining what
you're trying to do; perhaps there's a better way to do it.  For
example, maybe you don't need to create a tuple and then call
PyObject_CallObject, but simply use PyObject_CallFunction, which will
create the tuple for you.