python needs leaning stuff from other language

Fri Apr 3 22:19:05 EDT 2009

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:52:52 -0700, Giampaolo Rodola' wrote:

> If "there should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do
> it" then my_list.clear() is more obvious than del my_list[:]. Honestly
> I'm a little surprised that such a topic hasn't been raised before.

I'm a little surprised that you didn't bother googling before making that
statement. Of course it has been raised before. See (for example) these
threads:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-July/054564.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-April/549278.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-May/556977.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2007-May/000692.html

The good news is that Python-Ideas seems to be receptive to the idea,
including some heavy-weights like Raymond Hettinger, which leads me to be
hopeful that Python-Dev and Guido himself will agree:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-April/003897.html

Keep your fingers crossed that this is the last time we need to have this
discussion!

--
Steven