A design problem I met again and again.

paul paul at subsignal.org
Fri Apr 3 14:02:39 EDT 2009

一首诗 schrieb:
> Consolidate existing functions?
>
> I've thought about it.
>
> For example, I have two functions:
>
> #=========================
>
> def startXXX(id):
>     pass
>
> def startYYY(id):
>     pass
> #=========================
>
> I could turn it into one:
>
> #=========================
> def start(type, id):
>     if(type == "XXX"):
>         pass
>     else if(type == "YYY"):
>         pass
> #=========================
>
> But isn't the first style more clear for my code's user?
Depends ;)

There are more ways to structure code than using classes. To avoid the
if-elif-elif-elif-else problem you could start using a dispatch table
which maps types to functions (fex using a dict)

start_methods = {
 'type1': startXX,
 'type2': startYY,
}

def start(type, id):
  func = start_methods.get(type, None)
  if func:
    func(id)
  else:
    raise ...

Or maybe look at trac's (http://trac.edgewall.com) use of Components and
Interfaces. Very lightweight and modular. You can start reading here:
http://trac.edgewall.org/browser/trunk/trac/core.py

cheers
 Paul