[Python-Dev] PEP 382: Namespace Packages

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 2 21:21:10 EDT 2009

Martin v. Löwis schrieb:
> I propose the following PEP for inclusion to Python 3.1.
> Please comment.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> Abstract
> ========
>
> Namespace packages are a mechanism for splitting a single Python
> package across multiple directories on disk. In current Python
> versions, an algorithm to compute the packages __path__ must be
> formulated. With the enhancement proposed here, the import machinery
> itself will construct the list of directories that make up the
> package.

+1

speaking as a downstream packaging python for Debian/Ubuntu I welcome this
approach.  The current practice of shipping the very same file (__init__.py) in
different packages leads to conflicts for the installation of these packages
(this is not specific to dpkg, but is true for rpm packaging as well).

Current practice of packaging (for downstreams) so called "name space packages" is:

 - either to split out the namespace __init__.py into a separate
   (linux distribution) package (needing manual packaging effort for each
   name space package)

 - using downstream specific packaging techniques to handle conflicting files
   (diversions)

 - replicating the current behaviour of setuptools simply overwriting the
   file conflicts.

Following this proposal (downstream) packaging of namespace packages is made
possible independent of any manual downstream packaging decisions or any
downstream specific packaging decisions.

  Matthias