PEP 382: Namespace Packages

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 14:38:50 EDT 2009

On Apr 2, 8:32 am, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> I propose the following PEP for inclusion to Python 3.1.
> Please comment.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> Abstract
> ========
>
> Namespace packages are a mechanism for splitting a single Python
> package across multiple directories on disk. In current Python
> versions, an algorithm to compute the packages __path__ must be
> formulated. With the enhancement proposed here, the import machinery
> itself will construct the list of directories that make up the
> package.

-0

My main concern is that we'll start seeing all kinds of packages with
names like:

com.dusinc.sarray.ptookkit.v_1_34_beta.btree.BTree

The current lack of global package namespace effectively prevents
bureaucratic package naming, which in my mind makes it worth the
cost.  However, I'd be willing to believe this can be kept under
control some other way.

Carl Banks