python for loop

Lada Kugis lada.kugis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 10:08:44 EDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 00:40:17 -0700 (PDT), Carl Banks
<pavlovevidence at gmail.com> wrote:

>Lada,
>
>I am also an engineer, and I can tell your idea of intuitive is not
>universal, even among engineers.  I certainly do not lean toward one-
>based indexing.
>
>From a programming standpoint--and remember Python is a programming
>language--zero-based indexing eliminates the need for a whole lot of
>extra +1s and -1s when indexing, slicing, and iterating, a lot more
>than it causes, and that is worth the "cost".  This might not be
>apparent to you if you never tried seriously taking advantage of
>indexing from zero, or if your programming experience is very narrow.
>These both seem to be true for you, so you'll just have to take my
>word for it.

You have repeated several cs based points already stated. But apart
from a programming standpoint - could you give a few examples, where
"on paper" (as to avoid stepping into "programmer's territory") zero
indexing could be more intuitive ?
(of course, taking into account your previous based calculations,
which are based on 1 indexing - I imagine you still use matrices with
a11 as a first element)

Lada