Python Goes Mercurial

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Wed Apr 1 09:46:37 EDT 2009

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Mar 31, 6:25 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> <http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/python-adopts-the-mer...>
>>
>> So what were these "strong antipathies" towards Git, exactly?
>
> Apparently Mercurial had it's own hate club, and the reaction on
> python-dev was so severe GvR backtracked on his decision.
>
> Trying to appease a least common denominator, he changed his mind and
> Python is going with SCCS instead.
>

> Carl Banks

;)

A few years ago I had a very large client - many multi-billions of
dollars in revenue annually - that ran their entire custom IT
system from a home grown variant of SCCS.  It did work, but when
I suggested that better open source tools existed, they kindly
explained their complete lack of interest in moving several millions
of lines of code to anything new.  Go figure.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com