I find explicit self much easier to understand if i replace it in my mind with the word "instance"

Wed Apr 1 05:01:19 EDT 2009

In message <pan.2009.04.01.00.57.22 at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au>, Steven
D'Aprano wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:05:13 -0700, frolib wrote:
>
>> I find explicit self much easier to understand if i replace it in my
>> mind with the word "instance". I know that using the word "self" though
>> is a strong convention.
>
> Call it "self", "instance", "me" or "One" (as in, One is not amused) in
> your own code, it's all the same.

Earlier versions of the Python docs said that the name "self" was expected
by certain documentation-extraction tools. I can't find that statement any
more.