Python installation challenge

Evan Kroske e.kroske at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:48:51 EDT 2009

I'm not one to overreact, but I've got a serious problem with my Python
installation. I've tried to install from source, and I've tried to install
with apt-get, but no matter which method I use, my installation is crippled.
When I try to install Python 2.6.2 or 2.6.1, the installer warns me that it
has failed to install zlib and binascii. I promptly looked up my error and
found only a single other instance of it:
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648624-building-from-source-zlibbinascii-problems-252261.html.
I asked the python help mailing list for answers, but that effort stalled
out as well and didn't leave a public record (python-help's archives are
private.)

I will try to provide all the necessary information, and I'll be glad to
execute whatever tests or experiments you need. However, I will need
specific instructions because I don't have much experience with Linux and
the terminal. I'm using Intrepid Ibex 64 bit on a PC. Attached is a zip file
containing the output of ./configure and make. If you need any more info,
just tell me how to get it for you. Thanks for helping.

Best regards,
Evan Kroske