Install NumPy in python 2.6

Ole Streicher ole-usenet-spam at gmx.net
Wed Apr 22 05:38:02 EDT 2009

Hi David,

David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM, gopal mishra <gopalm at infotechsw.com> wrote:
>> error: Setup script exited with error: None
> Numpy 1.3.0 (to be released 1st April 2009) will contain everything to
> be buildable and usable with python 2.6 on windows. If you are in a
> hurry, you can install numpy from svn (I regularly test on windows
> lately, and I can confirm it does work).

I tried to install numpy and scipy on my Linux machine (64 bit,
openSUSE 11, Python 2.6).

Numpy installed with warnings like "Lapack (...) libraries not found",
but scipy then fails:

error:
    Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack]) or by setting
    the LAPACK environment variable.

Unfortunately, www.netlib.org is not reachable, so I cannot try to
install lapack.

What is the reason for that?

I tried numpack 1.3.0 and scipack 0.7.0, with easy_install.

Best regards

Ole