sending and receiving ipv6 multicasts

Kai Timmer email at kait.de
Mon Apr 13 12:27:06 EDT 2009

I am trying to send and receive packages via an ipv6 multicast. But I
can't get it working. What I thought was, that on the listener site, I
just need to bind my socket to the interfaces ipv6 local link address
and on the sender site, to the multicast address (in my case ff02::).
That doesn't work :)

I am using this: http://code.activestate.com/recipes/442490/ as an
example code, but I do not understand to which ipv6 address the socket
must be bind, to get this working on my link local network.

To make clear what I want to do: Every node in my ff80:: network
should receive a UDP package and answer with something. The sending
node then receives all the answers and puts them in some kind of data
structure. Can't be to hard to do this, but I am just lost in ipv6 ;)