"str object is not callable" error

venkat sanaka venkatsanaka at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:11:37 EDT 2009

HIi everyone.
i was using python/c api to call a python function from c and I know the
name of the function which i want to call.Is there any way to do that??
This is the method i tried...

for eg:This is the python function i wants to call.
 >>>def add(x):
...       return x+10

This is my code in C:
    PyObject *result = NULL;
    int arg;
    PyObject *arglist;
    arg = 123;
    my_callback = "add";
    arglist = Py_BuildValue("(i)", arg);
    result = PyObject_CallObject(my_callback, arglist);
    Py_DECREF(arglist);
    return result;

I was getting a error like "str object is not callable".From the error i
came to know that i was assigning "add" as a string which caused this
error.Then how to make it a callable object??

Regards
Venkat