Example for readline module usage?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Apr 5 21:58:27 EDT 2009

I want to use the readline module to allow the user to edit
input that is typed into my Python program.  [Isn't that what
the readline module is for?  It's certainly what the readline
library is used for in C programs.]

I've read and re-read the readline moudle documentaion, and I
still have absolutely no idea how to use it.  I've read the
examples, and they seem to be concerned entirely with the
interaction of history files and the Python interpreter --
neither of which have anything to do with what I'm trying to
do.

Can anybody point me to examples/documentation for how to use
the readline module?

[I swear I've asked this question before, but Google can't find
it.]

--
Grant