Best way to extract from regex in if statement

bwgoudey bwgoudey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 21:14:41 EDT 2009

I have a lot of if/elif cases based on regular expressions that I'm using to
filter stdin and using print to stdout. Often I want to print something
matched within the regular expression and the moment I've got a lot of cases
like:

elif re.match("^DATASET:\s*(.+) ", line):
        m=re.match("^DATASET:\s*(.+) ", line)
        print m.group(1))

which is ugly because of the duplication but I can't think of a nicer of way
of doing this that will allow for a lot of these sorts of cases. Any
suggestions?