Low level hard drive reading

Gabriel dunmer at dreams.sk
Thu Apr 2 07:36:24 EDT 2009

Hello,
I have to write linux application that will analyze disk/partition (ext3
filesystem) on really low level. It has to find/analyze files on the
disk by reading disk blocks to analyze file's headers to find out file
type and  then blocks related to file to  get file content. The second
part have to be searching deleted files by this blocks reading (is this
even possible?)

Can i do this in python? For example can i open disk image file and read
it block by block?
Or is there even better solution? .) I tried search web but I wasn't
successful..

I will appreciate any help. Thank you in advice..

Gabriel