What is not objects in Python?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Sep 28 15:17:19 EDT 2008

process wrote:
> I have heard some criticism about Python, that it is not fully object-
> oriented.

Feel free to ignore it if you wish.

> What is not an object in Python?

Depends on what you mean by 'in'.  Python is a language for defining and
manipulating information objects.  Code 'in' Python is not usually a
maniputed object, though is can be (by eval, exec, and compile, for
instance).  Names in code that are only used to directly access objects
typically are also, typically, not objects themselves.

> Why isn't len implemented as a str.len and list.len method instead of
> a len(list) function?

Partly history and partly practicality.  Len is implemented as .__len__
;-).  The len function is one, __len__ methods are many.  If you want to
pass an argument to a function, passing len is easier that passing
operator.attrgetter('__len__').  Passing '__len__' (or 'len') would be
easy, but using len is easier than using getattr(ob,'__len__').

tjr