EPD (Enthought Python Distribution) 4.0.300 Beta 3 available

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 19:07:36 EDT 2008

Disclosure: I work for Enthought.

Christopher Brewster wrote:
> I have always thought this idea very good, but if I download it and
> install it (on my MacBook pro) will any conflicts occur with existing
> bits and pieces of Python and its libraries?

For the Mac distribution, we have tried very carefully to keep EPD's Python
separate from any previous installation. I believe the only thing that will get
"overwritten" is that our bin/ directory inside our version of Python.framework
will get prepended to your $PATH environment variable. This will be added to
your ~/.bash_profile with a a descriptive comment. When you type

   $ python

at your Terminal prompt, you will get EPD's Python. To uninstall EPD, you can
remove those lines in your ~/.bash_profile, delete
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/4.0.300/, and delete
"/Applications/EPD <something or other>/". Then your previous Python
installation should be usable again.

To just use your previous Python installation without uninstalling EPD, just
comment out our addition to ~/.bash_profile.

If you have more questions about EPD, please join us on the enthought-dev
mailing list: