Cannot install pysqlite on Cygwin

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 29 09:49:06 EDT 2008

Tilman Kispersky wrote:
> I am trying to install sqlite for use with python on cygwin. I have
> installed the sqlite packages from cygwin (that is libsqlite3-devel
> and libsqlite3_0).  When attempting to easy_install pysqlite I get:
>
> $ easy_install pysqlite
> Searching for pysqlite
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pysqlite/
> Reading http://pysqlite.org/
> Reading http://initd.org/pub/software/pysqlite/releases/2.3/2.3.3/
> Reading http://pysqlite.sourceforge.net/
> Reading http://initd.org/pub/software/pysqlite/releases/2.3/2.3.4/
> Reading http://initd.org/tracker/pysqlite/wiki/PysqliteDownloads
> Reading http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/trac/pysqlite
> Reading http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/download/pysqlite/2.5/2.5.0/
> Reading http://initd.org/pub/software/pysqlite/releases/2.3/2.3.5/
> Reading http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/download/pysqlite/2.4/2.4.1/
> Reading http://initd.org/pub/software/pysqlite/releases/2.4/2.4.0/
> Best match: pysqlite 2.5.0
> Downloading http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/download/pysqlite/2.5/2.5.0/pysqlite-2.5.0.tar.gz
> Processing pysqlite-2.5.0.tar.gz
> Running pysqlite-2.5.0/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /cygdrive/c/
> Users/Tilman/AppData/Local/Temp/easy_install-876nHz/pysqlite-2.5.0/egg-
> dist-tmp-7mr3WS
> warning: no files found matching 'doc/*.html'
> warning: no files found matching 'doc/code/*.py'
> src/statement.c: In function `pysqlite_statement_recompile':
> src/statement.c:351: warning: `sqlite3_transfer_bindings' is
> deprecated (declared at /usr/include/sqlite3.h:3985)
> build/temp.cygwin-1.5.25-i686-2.5/src/connection.o: In function
> `pysqlite_enable_load_extension':
> /cygdrive/c/Users/Tilman/AppData/Local/Temp/easy_install-876nHz/
> pysqlite-2.5.0/src/connection.c:922: undefined reference to
> `_sqlite3_enable_load_extension'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit
> status 1
> $
>

> It seems to me this is due to some missing library (undefined
> reference...) but I have no idea what these missing files might be.
> I've tried installing everything that made any reference to sqlite
> form the cygwin interface.  Does anyone know how I might get a working
> install of sqlite for python on cygwin?

I believe it's a glitch in the 2.5.1 distribution current on Cygwin - I
had to install the _sqlite DLL separately to get it to work, but no
recompilation was necessary AFAICR.

Chui Tey detailed the necessary steps in his blog post "Cygwin Python
and sqlite3", but sadly it got lost and he hasn't replenished it, so you
will have to stab around to see if there's a cached copy anywhere.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119