How to read a jpg bytearray from a Flash AS3 file

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Sep 27 07:43:50 EDT 2008

rsgalloway at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to save an image from a Flash AS3 to my server as a jpg
> file. I found some PHP code to do this, but I want to do this in
> Python. I'm not quite sure how to convert the following code to
> Python. It's mainly the $GLOBALS["HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA"] part I don't
> know how to convert.

depends on what framework you're using.  if you're using plain CGI, you
should be able to read the posted data from sys.stdin:

   import sys

   im = sys.stdin.read()

   f = open(name, 'wb')
   f.write(jpg)
   f.close()

to make your code a bit more robust, you may want to check the
content-length before doing the read, e.g.

   import os

   if os.environ.get("REQUEST_METHOD") != "POST":
       ... report invalid request ...

   bytes = int(os.environ.get("CONTENT_LENGTH", 0))
   if bytes > MAX_REQUEST_SIZE:
       ... report request too large ...

   im = sys.stdin.read(bytes)

to deal with query parameters etc, see