Running IDLE on 3.0rc1

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 27 04:45:57 EDT 2008

Allan wrote:
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>
>> I have not seen this posted, so...
>> To run IDLE with Python3.0rc1,
>> edit Python30/Libs/idlelib/run.py,
>> and change "set_daemon(True)" to "daemon = True" and save.
>> (This is about line 75, and the only appearance of 'daemon'.)
>> Otherwise, you get error message about not starting a subprocess.
> Is this related to the tip at the end of the built-in help file in IDLE
> regarding the `-n' command option?

No, the above is a bug fix that did not make it into rc1 but has now
been committed.  It arose because the interface of a class in one of the
modules was changed from .set_var(val) to .var = val and the need to
change IDLE was not caught.  I imagine that checking that IDLE runs in
not in the test suite.